Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home2/stblake1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-button-plugin/facebook-button-plugin.php on line 244
Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home2/stblake1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/facebook-button-plugin/facebook-button-plugin.php on line 246
This post comes to you in response to a challenge from blogger and IttyBiz marketing guru, Naomi Dunford. (You haven’t lived until you’ve listened to her read Dr. Seuss’s Oh, The Places You’ll Go.)
In her most recent blog post (which you can read here), Naomi challenged readers to answer a very scary question: What do you actually do? Although I do try to answer that on my About and Services tabs, here it is with a slightly different twist – with the questions provided by Naomi:
What’s your game? What do you do?
I wonder. No, really, not about what I do. That is what I do. I notice how things work, how people think and act, and how human systems work (or don’t work). I ask questions that make people think.
That’s a practice that could be extremely irritating if not used wisely. But I ask questions that give people ideas. And I create a safe space for them to answer those questions.
I apply that in a variety of ways:
- I rock at facilitating group discussions and meetings, especially when it involves getting people’s creative juices flowing.
- I write and analyze surveys, drive strategy planning projects, develop and present training, and provide individual and group coaching.
- I write about these and other things that make me wonder and that I hope will inspire you.
- Oh, and I’m a photographer on the side.
Why do you do it? Do you love it, or do you just have one of those creepy knacks?
I do it for a lot of reasons. I do love it; I’m naturally curious about – even fascinated by – people, nature, why things are the way they are. I want to share that wonder, and I believe it can open many doors.
And I do have a knack for usually asking the right question.
Who are your customers? What kind of people would need or want what you offer?
Maybe I have a big head, but I think everybody needs what I offer.
Have you ever thought,
- “Now what do I do?”
- “I should get this, but it just isn’t coming.”
- “It’s right on the tip of my tongue…”
- “I wish I had someone to bounce this off of…”
- “I’m pretty sure I know what they think, but maybe I should check. How do I ask?”
- “I’m stuck,” “I’m trapped,” “I’m bored,” “I’m in a rut,” or…
Then I can help.
If you need someone to…
- Come in and ask the questions that need to be asked, or
- Help you to formulate the questions that will help you get useful answers, or
- Maybe you want to have a team event that you can participate in without having to lead it…
Then I’m the one you want.
What’s your marketing USP (Unique Selling Proposition)? Why should I buy from you instead of the other losers?
- I ask great questions that give people ideas.
- I will tell you the truth.
- I’ve been around, and survived a few things, and I know you can too.
- I have a lot of tools in my toolkit, not just a hammer.
- People say my meetings are fun.
- I know the difference between being a Consultant and an Insultant.
What’s next for you? What’s the Big Plan?
In addition to helping more and more people build their curiosity muscles,
- I’m developing a series of workshops on Asking Powerful Questions in both personal relations and business interactions.
- I’m updating my ebook, “Remember to Look Up: 35 Tips for Making a Comeback.” The new version will include exercises to help you with some of the tips, and it will be ready by the end of November.
So there you have it. If any of this appeals to you and you’d like to talk to me about helping YOU out, click here. Or give me a call at (925) 580-6922. (I’m on Pacific Time.) You may also leave a comment if you have something to say but aren’t ready for us to work together.
I can’t wait to hear from you!